Someday, I would like to costume an insanely popular movie so that I can pull out all my dirty tricks to make fanciness – and tell NO ONE quite how in the heck I did anything. And then I will set up a Google search and just watch people try to replicate things. I feel like that would be some fun times….
In the mean time, I needed a fabric I couldn’t get.
I was unfortunately adamant about this not being plain, flat fabric. Anyhoo…
Here’s the first technique:
Pin the organza to the flannel to create the puffs and swirls of your dreams. Then replace the pins with itty bitty hand stitches.
Normally, that’s fine. But there was this dog who has clearly never been on the right side of a door in her life, and I have never missed my pin-able work top so much in my life. :(
That was actually rather theraputic. Normally when I work this technique I have to go to a lot of pains to keep things from smashing. Also, I normally do it on smaller pieces where I can just push in all the ruching with my thumb while I’m working, which is seriously mas faster.
Since this was not working as fast as I wanted, I was experimenting with other techniques.
I tried just ironing in wrinkles with the ever so technical wad-and-smash method, which was too chaotic no matter how I tried it. I tried a controlled pin-and-smash, but the pins and the iron were not playing well.
But that is how I arrived at the dodgey cheat I used for the underskirt.
I ironed it from the wrong side, because I learned on my test swatch that the rubber bands were happy to melt to the iron. Once the creases were set, I took the rubber bands off. On my test swatch, I took them off individually, which was almost as slow as putting them on (4-5 seconds each). On the full piece, I used the far more expedient method of stretching the fabric which ended up with rubber bands absolutely everywhere but the fabric. I was ok with that.
This is normally used for wee-dainty applique projects. The woman at the JoAnns was a little surprised when I bought yardage. Also, the paper does not pull off as easily as they say. As a technical note, if you look at the top of the skirt the waist is a rather odd U shape that you don’t normally expect. That guarantees that the skirt will have extra fullness concentrated at the center front, which helps to create that fold you see in most of the Amidala pics.
I think this actually came closer to the texture I was going for, but I needed to reduce my rubber band spacing by about half and resist my innate desire to work in grids. This is hella faster than the hand worked method, and I feel like the results are closer. It also gives you the opportunity to wrap the texture around the hem, per the original picture.