So, it’s been, like, forever since I’ve gotten to work on anything for my dollies, right? Oy then! Not cool… But I did get a few minutes the other day to work on Maid Marion’s little overdress that I started months ago. I dyed it months ago, too, and then crazy show-float-show-crap-I’ve-got-clients-too! season get the better of me… But, finally, progress! Here’s a general method for sewing a lined princess seam dress, regardless of size.
Now, I actually want a really craptacular dye job on this, because I want it to look about a million years old and quite lived in. So I didn’t do a lot of dying pre-prep… There was no washing, no soap, nothing more advanced than a little dip in vinegar water. (Vinegar because the fabric is wool-and-something.) A bad dye job is a really great distressing technique.
Now, there’s a thousand ways you can finish these: you can whip stitch them, top stitch them, blind stitch them… Anything that gets them together is basically fair game. Personally, while I can do an invisible join with the best of ’em, I like for people to know that I took the trouble to sew something by hand. And while I’m very bad at embroidery, I’m very good at a neat little pick stitch….
Finish the other sleeve and the hem in a similar fashion. And just as soon as I’m done doing that, I’ll post finished pics… :)
Missa, nice job on the dying….what about Miss Piggy
Never fear – Miss P. will still be getting her Tudor dress! It’s just on hold until I finish off a few things for human clients. :)