So for reasons that I can’t quite wrap my head around, I’ve fround myself making show-girl headdresses. This is great, except that I don’t fully know how to make a show-girl headdress. I’ve a notion that it’s definitely a wire-and-plier project….
I did a little internet research. I need to make headdresses that will work with (or without – there’s discussion) wigs, so that sort of limits the possible architecture. I’m pretty sure that I need a system that will tension off th ear/forehead/back-of-head areas so that it can’t fall side to side, or back to front. (Systems that fit the head fully around are out, due to the possibility of wigs.)
What I’m working on also needs to be “built to withstand the unexpected”, as the truck ad says. (I don’t get that. How do you build to withstand the unexpected? I mean, isn’t the whole deal with unexpected that “I did not see that coming…” sort of feeling? Like, “Ok, let me get this straight…You added ctrl-alt-O-Z-opt-shift-QXZ-F1 to your URL and the internet crashed?” Anyway, my personal point is that these are being built to withstand the completely expected: actresses, actors who would rather be in a drag show, and the possibility that our hair and makeup lady might not actually like the idea that hats go on top of her hairdos and hide them. This last bit isn’t exactly my fault: it’s just the natural order of things.) Anyway, I’ve settled on a wireframe structure. I want something stronger than ordinary millinery wire, and something terrifically cheap and readily available as I have a budget and no idea how much wire I’m ultimately going to need. I decided this would be a good project to use to cull the herd of wire coat hangers that are taking over the theater’s basement.
To start, I need to get an idea of what shape I want to create….
I’ve spent some time twisting pipe cleaners around to make a working mockup of the shape I intend to make. Pipe cleaners aren’t terribly sturdy, but they’re great for rapid prototyping of wire-framed headdresses because they’re really easy to work with. I’m trying to make something that looks like it’s from the 20s, so I want the sort of flapper style band on the forehead. This is also structural – it keeps the headdress from sliding backwards on the head. The weird cage on top will ultimately hold feathers. There’s a V of wire in back, holding onto the head and preventing the headdress from sliding forwards.
So that’s the plan I’m working with. I’ve come into the temporary possession of a balsa wig stand through my theater, which makes the following steps much easier. I have to make six of these, because show-girls travel in packs. (If there’s justice in the english language, the proper group noun should be a “grope” of show-girls.) Since I’ve never made anything like this before, this is going to be a little bit of a trick. My thought is that any time you have to mass produce an item that you have no idea how to make, you do an easy mockup (whether it’s small scale, or just an easier/cheaper material to work with), then use your mockup as a pattern. (And often your lining, if you’re sewing.)
In this particular case, I have that balsa head at my disposal. I decided to use it to make a jig of sorts, so I could check my forms as I go since making the same thing twice is really not my strong suit.
Once I had the jig, I got started….